It is important to understand what the individual can and cannot do. The teaching staff will run assessments to understand the deficits and excesses and the supervisor will develop goals which will be approved by the parent/caregiver. However, progress of the individual child is largely dependent on his/her ability to learn new habits, absorb new information, and on the extent of parental involvement for the purpose of generalization. Phoenix Development Centre offers skills and behavioural assessment tools to understand the specific needs. The assessment administered will vary based on the needs and goals of parents/caregivers and may include observations, interviews, and standardized tests.
Assessment tools are administered by trained teaching staff and assessments available are, but not limited to, the following:
- Verbal Behaviour Milestones Placements Program (VB-MAPP)
- Assessment of Functional Living Skills (AFLS)
- Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills – Revised (ABLLS-R)
- Promoting the Emergence of Advanced Knowledge-Comprehensive Assessment (PEAK-CA)
- Vineland Adaptive Behaviour Scales – Third Edition
- Behaviour Assessment System for Children, Third Edition (BASC-3)